Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Some thoughts on saying goodbye

I didn't realize it had been so long since I had written anything for this blog. It has been a hectic couple of weeks. But since I am home with a cold today it seems like a good time to do a little writing.

I have been seeing a lot of euthanasia's lately and thinking about the toll that this takes on both the owners and the veterinarian helping them. Making a decision to euthanize is such a difficult decision. There is fear that we are making the wrong decision or that we don't have the right to make life and death decisions like this. There is guilt and second guessing and of course over it all the grief of loosing that wonderful partner that our pets become.

They give us so much in their short lifetimes: unconditional love, acceptance, empathy, entertainment, laughs and yes a few headaches and heartaches to provide fullness of experience. We love our dogs right back, often with a simplicity that we struggle to find in our human relationships. And we learn, whether consciously or not, lessons in patience, kindness, and humility. A client of mine recently said that her cat had been sticking around to be sure she learned all she needed to know. I think the final lesson was one in letting go. Perhaps the hardest lesson of all to learn.

I was speaking to a college student this weekend who is considering applying to veterinary school and we briefly touched on this topic. She was concerned that she wouldn't be able to provide this service to her clients. And as a veterinarian it is something that we must all reflect on in our professional lives. When would I be willing to provide this service? Under what circumstances might I refuse? Is there something I can do to help both myself and the owner feel that this is a good decision?

My philosophy has always been that euthanasia can be such a blessing that we can give to our pets. It is a truly courageous and selfless act that we do when we choose euthanasia. We can remove pain, preserve some dignity and spare our beloved pets unnecessary suffering. But in doing so we must give up something unbelievably precious to ourselves. And it is there that we must reach deep into our hearts to find the love our pets have given us and return it, in full measure, by saying good bye. Each euthanasia I participate in is unique and special. I learn something from each of these pets and their loving owners. I too grieve, even if I have only met the pet at this ending of a life, and I try to take a little time to say my own goodbye to each wonderful furry life that I am lucky enough to have contact with.

Thank you for the lessons in love, courage and dignity to all those that have passed and all those who will pass through my life in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment